At this moment, the head count for Easter Brunch at our house is 16. A smaller than usual crowd... Everyone brings something, and coordinating that is half the battle. Here's what we have so far (if there's a recipe link I'm making it):
- Pork Roasted with Gravy - the secret to great pork is to marinate it, and never cook it above 145, because pork today is so lean that it dries out quickly. Yes the USDA says 160, but, well, I don't eat shoes.
- Potato Pierogi - I'll have to make about 100, so I'm recruiting help!
- Fruit Salad
- Danish (Cherry, Blueberry, and Poppyseed) - traditional in my husband's family and a closely guarded recipe.
- Surprise Vegetable - a burgeoning cook in the family promises something healthy and tasty!
- Peach Mimosa - because face it, with 16 people coming I WILL need a drink
- Various appetizers, deviled eggs, and whatever else people bring.
The real trick for the day is the timing. The boys of course want the annual egg hunt. Now that they are 10 & 12 it's not just colored eggs hidden around the house. It is starting to resemble something from the da Vinci Code. I think we pared it down to 43 clues. Then there's church, and then the family descends. Busy, but a good time.
Happy Easter! Happy Spring!
Brought to you by MealMixer
, the top rated Meal Planner
. Get free meals plans when you take your FREE Trial